Re: Idea for getting funds for KiCad,

Assembly sounds good too! Slowly, we're getting to a one click PCB
solution.  :)

A solution to reduce the complexity of the association between components
and part numbers could be to keep the part number in the component itself.

It may sound a bit unorthodox, but let me try to explain how I use the
libraries:

1. I have one component in the library for each component in «real life»
(for example, I have one component 0R_0603, one 100R_0603, one 100R_0805,
and so on). This increases the number of components in the libraries,
because I don't use the Value field, but I found it way faster to place
components than to place a component and change its value every time. And
there's also another upside with this approach: I can associate each
component to a manufacturer, a manufacturer part number, a supplier and a
supplier part number, using its user fields;

2. Then, when I make a schematic, I run a python script on the schematic
folder which will get all the components in my central library and collects
all the instances of every component in the schematic. Then, this script
outputs, for every supplier, the BOM (it even outputs on different formats,
depending on the supplier, so I can just copy the content of the output
file, go to Farnell website, for example, paste it, and close the order).

With this approach, it's rather easy to implement this functionality. What
about the S-expression libraries? Would it become easier to implement this,
with the new library and component formats?

Tomé

--
Tomé Veríssimo
e-mail: tomeverissimo@xxxxxxxxx