Re: Idea for getting funds for KiCad,

2012/11/21 Tomé Veríssimo <tomeverissimo@xxxxxxxxx>

> Assembly sounds good too! Slowly, we're getting to a one click PCB
> solution.  :)
>
> A solution to reduce the complexity of the association between components
> and part numbers could be to keep the part number in the component itself.
>
> It may sound a bit unorthodox, but let me try to explain how I use the
> libraries:

Reading :)

> 1. I have one component in the library for each component in «real life»
> (for example, I have one component 0R_0603, one 100R_0603, one 100R_0805,
> and so on). This increases the number of components in the libraries,
> because I don't use the Value field, but I found it way faster to place
> components than to place a component and change its value every time. And
> there's also another upside with this approach: I can associate each
> component to a manufacturer, a manufacturer part number, a supplier and a
> supplier part number, using its user fields;

This is what al**um is doing in their subscription vault now, it's plenty
of pre-filled resistor components with all the comercially available values
and footprint sizes (well not all but must common footprints).

> 2. Then, when I make a schematic, I run a python script on the schematic
> folder which will get all the components in my central library and collects
> all the instances of every component in the schematic. Then, this script
> outputs, for every supplier, the BOM (it even outputs on different formats,
> depending on the supplier, so I can just copy the content of the output
> file, go to Farnell website, for example, paste it, and close the order).

Or you can keep the IDs of several component distributors (as long as they
keep subscription to KiCad, for example.. -other idea-)  in special fields
of the components, so you can get the "listing for element14, listing for
mouser, listing for digikey, listing for xxxx...".

> With this approach, it's rather easy to implement this functionality.
>

> What about the S-expression libraries? Would it become easier to implement
> this, with the new library and component formats?

Definitely, the will be  one of the bricks needed to build all this at the
right moment :-)