Re: About MCAD integration

On 05/06/2013 10:13 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 10:06:18AM +0200, Miguel Angel Ajo wrote:
anyway I find more useful a full model output (with all shapes) than bounding boxes :)

Then you *really* have a lot of memory and processor time to handle you
designs :D.

Lorenzo,

I have a 5-year-old PC with entry level graphics, and A****m's 3D viewer, which produces quite detailed output works with decent framerate.

(alternatively you don't need complex designs).

I need complex designs. My old PC has no problems handling this one: http://www.ohwr.org/attachments/1916/svectop_s.png (with very accurate STEP models) at ~20-30 FPS. The PC is probably worth less than $200 now. So if somebody does 10-layer boards and can afford prototypes, he should be also able to dig out $200 for a PC that is capable of visualizing them :)

Boundary models
are also used for airflow calculation models, BTW. Really there is
usually (if not ever) no advantage in having a pin-by-pin model of a QFP
or something (except eye candy, maybe)
Take any 3D game and replace all the characters with bounding boxes :)

Regards,
Tom