Re: Regression Testing

On 05/18/2013 05:20 AM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
> On 18 May 2013 05:46, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dick@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>

>     On May 17, 2013 5:00 PM, "Brian Sidebotham" <brian.sidebotham@xxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:brian.sidebotham@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>     >

>     > Sorry Dick! Please find the diff attached. It took me ages to sort the branding out.
>     It turns out that NSIS is only happy with an 8-bit windows bitmap with no colourspace
>     information or run-length-encoding. Once I found that out, I could generate some
>     initial bitmaps for the nsis installer. I've attached a few images of what the
>     installer steps look like on my machine.
>
>     Looks as good as it can.  Thanks for sorting that out.
>

>     >
>     > Let me know if you're happy and I'll commit the changes. It re-enables the NSIS
>     installer for the package target.
>     >

>     Can we have a variable to test which reenables the zip packaging?  So either can be
>     built by cmake.
>
>     I assume your higher level cmake scripts, say in winbuilder, will be easier if python
>     is installable as a zip.
>
>     I will put both types of packaging at google.
>

> I've not excluded the ZIP packaging, so at the moment make package results in a zip and
> installer executable which I guess is right if we're going to supply both packages.
>
> Yes, a zip package is easier to deal with for something like winbuilder as it can be
> installed locally and doesn't need to be installed machine-wide.
>

>     > I've marked all components as "required to be installed"
>     >
>     > Is pointing the the installer licence page to the LICENCE file correct? Or do we
>     want to do a separate licence file for Python-a-mingw-us?
>
>     It is still python.  Python is plagued with an evolutionary license.   What about
>     simply pointing via url to python's license at python site?  That way any confusion is
>     pinned there.
>
>     On a-mingus itself, for extension building on windows, maybe a cmake template, which
>     has knowledge of header and lib locs?  Since no distutils for mingw?  Possibly a
>     python wrapper to the cmake creation from template process?  Could code the cmake
>     script tempate in the python wrapper file.  Customize it, write out cmakelists.txt,
>     with proper dirs and libs and targets in it.  Runs cmake, then make, then make install.
>
> That sounds like a great idea. It will be good to give support to people who want to
> buiild extensions with it seen as that is it's main purpose. I'll look into that next. I
> have been looking at SWIG recently, so I'm a bit more familiar with python extension
> writing. SWIG and <stdbool.h> don't play nice together at all :(
>
> Anyway, I'll commit the changes now.

Brian,

I built the two NSIS installers and put them at code.google.com.

I tried the 32 bit one on Win2K, my only windows laptop.  (I had to sweet talk it into
booting.)  I chose to install a desktop icon, chose to add python to the path for single
user only, although I was user Admin.  Here are some things I noticed:

a) All the files get installed, but the progress bar did not actually go all the way to
the right, so I am suspicious that some kind of abort happened before completion.

b) The desktop icon was never visible.  (Right, what desktop icon?)

c) The path did not have C:\python\2.7.4\bin in it.

d) I ran python.exe anyways, and readline extension was definitely not in play.  I don't
see where PYTHONHOME is being set to the install dir, like the website says to do:
http://code.google.com/p/python-a-mingw-us/

After setting PYTHONPATH manually, readline extension still not look like it was active.
I expected to be able to press the up arrow key and see a previous expression entry line.

I did push the two NSIS installers to the website for other more experienced windows users
to test on more contemporary versions of Windows.

I can add you as an ADMIN at google website if you would like, so you can push your own
revisions.  Would need account info, say privately.

Dick