kicad-developers team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
Re: Pluggable IO modules
On 09/19/2013 04:29 PM, Miguel Angel wrote:
Ok, summarizing all the feedback:
I'd defer this blueprint proposal, and switch it into something like:
* Making a generic system wide plugin load system,
(load/unload/reload/enumerate/instantiate). Supporting statically
loaded C++ plugins, and dynamically loaded python plugins.
* Make the C++<-->Python facade for those classes (one by one in
separate implementations, and see how they work, so we can refine the
implementation before we implement the next)
* Make a contextmenu example (component alignment: horizontal/vertical)
The GUI-related plugins depend on how the UI/Tool frameworks will look
like in the end. They need to be clarified before plugin interfaces are
defined - but we can surely add context menu/toolbar/hotkey plugins
anytime in the future.
My 5 cents for the plugin type list:
- S3D_MODEL_PLUGIN for loading VRML/STEP/IGES,
- APP_PLUGIN: an embeddable instance of a kicad application. In far
future, it may become possible to put apps in tabs, embed them in a
common shell application, etc.