Re: Pluggable IO modules

On 9/19/2013 10:37 AM, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
> On 09/19/2013 04:31 PM, Miguel Angel wrote:
>> Clarification: making it generic means that we share the base class for
>> KICAD_PLUGINs and that we share the code for the manager.
>>
>> Not that I intend to load pcbnew plugins into eeschema, or the other way
>> around.. which wouldn't have much sense.
>
> How about browsing footprints/3D models/symbols in eeschema and
> assigning them directly on the schematic? Such integrated browser could
> rely on dynamically loading certain, well defined interfaces of pcbnew
> (for footprint/3D visualisation) in eeschema.
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

Dick and I have discussed this before.  Once the pcbnew.dll is work is
complete.  We should be able to use the footprint viewer/3D model viewer
in Eeschema to set the footprint field.  At some point I would like to
merge some of the CvPcb footprint assignment functionality into the
current footprint viewer.  This includes things like the component pane
and the auto footprint assignment feature.  Once that is all in place
and working, get rid of CvPcb.