Re: New form of back annotation

On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 02:50:12AM -0700, Jason Whiteman wrote:
> I do not have a "package" property - I use footprint as my package
> property.  Footprint = the logical name of the library part (not package).
>  When I use CvPCB to generate a cmp file - my 0402 is changed to SMD_C_0402
> (or similar - depends on library) and perhaps another part changes from
> what I elected to fill in the schematic as the package (but used the
> footprint property) and for that particular part the replaced value would
> be more obscure.  Also string lengths change so text runs into overlap
> issues even for those parts that still happen to convey package in the
> logical footprint name when these get replaced.

Ah ok. The ugly 'libname gives oversized string' issue. I patched my
eeschema to suppress the part up to the : character, for that :P

> If course, as with everything, it depends.  I would tend to agree on pin
> swaps of "large" parts.  What I was thinking of in my post was a case where
> I had to pin swap many resistors and caps (2 terminal standard SMD).  This

Confirming the 'since we don't have pin/gate swap' condition. 100% agree
with you, I have had mostly the same experience; for some reason most
EDA are now almost dedicated to high speed digital (which is an hell in
itself) but there still are discrete-filled analog/power boards around :P

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl