bugs on mac install of kicad / libraries

i downloaded a zip of a build for macOS containing KiCad 2014-05-31 BZR 4902-product (called "Kicad-product-2014-05-31.zip")

I can't remember where I downloaded it though, and the official kicad page at http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/Download leads to source (very difficult to build on macos) or packages that are quite old.

so on to my problems. Installing libraries was very difficult because the "sed" command on bsd does not support extended regex (the -r parameter) and sed is used by library-repos-install.sh to create a list of libraries to download.

perhaps macOS after 10.6.7 has a version of sed that allows for -r extended regex? If not, the command
sed  's:.+ "KiCad/(.+)",:\1:'
should be replaced with
sed 's:..................KiCad/::' | sed 's:\",::'
in library-repos-install.sh

this is to change
    "full_name": "KiCad/Air_Coils_SML_NEOSID.pretty",
into
Air_Coils_SML_NEOSID.pretty

the other problem i'm having is basically this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/593661

except that it's not that the Cvpcb window "loses" focus but rather it isn't fully focused. The close/minimize/maximize buttons in the corner are still colored (indicating it has focus) but the arrow keys don't work and none of the fields are highlighted with active blue; and thus the arrow keys don't work. I can't describe how impossible it is to pick parts without using the arrow keys to pick through footprints with Cvpcb.

If i close the footprint viewer, Cvpcb acts normally and the arrow keys work to cycle through parts.

if anyone is building for macOS / OSX they should check for this bug and fix it or reopen it in the bug tracker if they see it, it's pretty serious.

also, i really don't know what is the correct way to install kicad libraries and I haven't found the instructions in the documentation - or they were buried in too much other documentation and i couldn't see it. I pity the fool who tries to install kicad on anything but linux until the documentation is improved.

thank you
-jake

Follow ups