Re: 3D-Viewer new rendering and contributions.

Hi Nick,

> I wonder why the board is transparent

That is the "board body", you can then add the soldermask layer that will make it less transparent.
I don't remember why it is a bit transparent if was something I changed.
In reality a FR4 will be translucent and refract light.
Maybe it is another option to add (set transparency proprieties)

> I also would like to be able to control the background color better. I
> want to be able to choose both gradient colors and also to disable the
> gradient.

I understand.
I have no experience in wx / KiCad dialogs.
I talked with Jason Whiteman (in CC) and he is doing some new dialogs for 3D Viewer already but he doesn't have much time for it :/
Maybe some one experience can join Jason and implement nice dialog options for 3D Viewer now.

> I have problems with an older design, where the models are offset way
> too much. Some unit problem?

I notice in some models that I got in the web (ex: Walter) (you can see in my first screenshots, in the SMD resistors) that they have added some offset in Z coord. You see that they are "levitate" in the PCB board. I dont know why they added it.
Also IMPORTANT: I added now in VRML 2 the capability to parse transformation data (rotation, scale, scaleOrientation, center.. )
As Cirilo Bernardo pointed correctly, If the code is implemented correctly and the problem are in the model files, so the model files should be fixed.
Check in your model files for the "Transform" tag and see if they have transformation data.
If you have that Transform, you can remove it (whatever makes sense to you / your model)

Also keep in mind IMPORTANT 2: The VRML 2 can load now hierarchically data, as well their transformations. mean that it can apply transformations for each node / child that are also dependent on their parent node transformation.

Send me any data you want I will try give it a look.

Cheers,
Mario Luzeiro