Re: 3D-Viewer new rendering and contributions.

> Hi Nick,
>
>> I wonder why the board is transparent
>
> That is the "board body", you can then add the soldermask layer that will make it less transparent.
> I don't remember why it is a bit transparent if was something I changed.
> In reality a FR4 will be translucent and refract light.
> Maybe it is another option to add (set transparency proprieties)

Yeah, I know it is the entry called board body in the view menu. I
just tried rev 5005, here the board body is _not_ transparent, even if
the solder mask is hidden.

>> I also would like to be able to control the background color better. I
>> want to be able to choose both gradient colors and also to disable the
>> gradient.
>
> I understand.
> I have no experience in wx / KiCad dialogs.
> I talked with Jason Whiteman (in CC) and he is doing some new dialogs for 3D Viewer already but he doesn't have much time for it :/
> Maybe some one experience can join Jason and implement nice dialog options for 3D Viewer now.
>

>> I have problems with an older design, where the models are offset way
>> too much. Some unit problem?
>
> I notice in some models that I got in the web (ex: Walter) (you can see in my first screenshots, in the SMD resistors) that they have added some offset in Z coord. You see that they are "levitate" in the PCB board. I dont know why they added it.
> Also IMPORTANT: I added now in VRML 2 the capability to parse transformation data (rotation, scale, scaleOrientation, center.. )
> As Cirilo Bernardo pointed correctly, If the code is implemented correctly and the problem are in the model files, so the model files should be fixed.
> Check in your model files for the "Transform" tag and see if they have transformation data.
> If you have that Transform, you can remove it (whatever makes sense to you / your model)
>
> Also keep in mind IMPORTANT 2: The VRML 2 can load now hierarchically data, as well their transformations. mean that it can apply transformations for each node / child that are also dependent on their parent node transformation.

I do see the string "Transform", but it does not look like a section
block to my, but now I am not familiar with VRML files.

> Send me any data you want I will try give it a look.

The head looks like:
#VRML V2.0 utf8
#Exported from Wings 3D 1.2.x.y.WINGS
DEF STL_object Transform {
  children [
    Shape {
      appearance Appearance {
        material DEF default Material {
          diffuseColor 0.7898538076923077 0.8133333333333334 0.6940444444444445
          emissiveColor 0.0 0.0 0.0
          specularColor 0.0 0.0 0.0
          ambientIntensity 0.765743861823362
          transparency 0.0
          shininess 0.0
        }
      }
      geometry IndexedFaceSet {
        coord Coordinate { point [
          -7.800000190734863 -1.3086742162704468 0.20000000298023224,
          -7.800000190734863 -1.3086742162704468 16.399999618530273,
          -7.800000190734863 1.3086742162704468 0.20000000298023224,

bla bla bla...