Re: Requesting your co-operation for new version of Oscad, a free and open source EDA tool

On 11/7/2014 4:54 AM, Oscad Team wrote:
> Dear Wayne,
>
> Thank you for the quick reply. We apologize for the delay in replying
> as we had some name clash issues to be resolved in between and hence
> we have changed from Oscad to freeEDA.
>
> We shall answer your queries as inline text.
>
>     Dear Oscad Developers,
>
>     Your work sounds interesting.  I have a few questions about the
>     current
>     state of your code:
>
>     1) I've been working under the assumption that you were interested in
>     merging your work into KiCad to provide an integrated simulator
>     solution
>     but it almost sounds like you are developing a stand alone project so
>     some clarification on that would be helpful.
>
> Although we have used a forked version of KiCad for FreeEDA, we are
> ready to merge it back. This can give KiCad an added feature, namely
> simulation using ngspice.

Have you been keeping up with the recent changes to the schematic
editor?  Within the last few month, there have been significant changes
in the way Eeschema is built.  Namely the kiway work which allows
Eeschema , CvPcb, and Pcbnew to run in the same process.  If you
haven't, then merging will likely prove difficult.  If you have, then
that should not be an issue.

>     2)  Is there a source repo that we can download and build to get and
>     idea of how well the software works, what kind of effort it takes to
>     build on all of the platforms KiCad supports, and how difficult it
>     will
>     be to merge into the KiCad project?
>

> You can download the latest version of FreeEDA from
> https://github.com/FOSSEE/FreeEDA

It make take some time for me to get around to testing this.  If anyone
on the KiCad developers list has time to check this out, please let me
know how it works out.  If you could, please test that it merges cleanly
with the product branch and that any changes to the Eeschema code
follows the coding guidelines along with the build and functional testing.

>     3) Have you bee keeping up with the latest changes in KiCad to
>     ease any
>     code merges?
>

>     We are sure that there will be no issue as all FreeEDA
>     functionalities like eeschema, netlist creation for simulation,
>     PCB design, all uses KiCad components by default. Once our code is
>     merged with KiCad, then we shall use the main trunk of KiCad for
>     further developments.

We are planning a stable release in the not too distant future.  Merging
your simulation code into the product branch may have to wait until
after the stable release depending on the robustness of the simulation
code.  If that is an issue, we can create a separate branch for the
merged simulator code and then merge it into the product branch after
the stable release.

>     4) If you do plan to merge your simulator code into KiCad, are you
>     going
>     to supply developer resources to maintain and support your code?
>
> In case our simulator code is merged into KiCad, we will be most happy
> to provide the necessary support for this code.

Thank you for the offer.  I'm sure we will need your help with the
simulation code.  I don't know if we have anyone with experience in that
area.

Best Regards,

Wayne