Re: emacs switches to Git

> On 12 November 2014 13:33, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> What is less clear is the hosting sight.  I'm am
>> less than thrilled with using github because AFAIK it is not free
>> software.
>
> A small aside: are you aware that the KiCad site/wiki framework,
> Confluence, is not free software?
>
> On 12 November 2014 14:52, Joel Holdsworth <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I think that's rather overblown. At sigrok.org, we have a VPM hosting
>>
>> gitlite + cgit repo viewer
>> bugzilla
>> mediawiki
>> mailman
>>
>> on Debian Stable
>
> I envy the simplicity/leanness of this setup. I think when a move is
> planned then I would argue for moving away from Confluence as well. It
> would be good to consolidate everything, repo, bugs, wiki, mailing
> lists, under one roof. I for one would be much more inclined to
> contribute with a setup similar to the one above (not that I am under
> any illusion that it is the main thing holding me back).

I like the note with the illusion. But remember that there are a lot
of tools available out there and choosing one platform/setup over
another is no that easy to do -- not only because we want to keep the
info collected in the bug tracker and in various places.

I one is very motivated to look at different setups, I would motivate
them to start doing a similar writing as [Marco] is currently doing
with choosing the documentaiton format. That is collecting setups that
could be of interrest, and maybe make some test setups. This could
help keep the focus on this list on doing the kicad release and not
the backend.

Also, just to mention it, there is also something called [Phabricator]
and its applications. As far as I can see it is open source under
Apache v2. Blender has migrated to that, and it seems quite
successfull. I have not done a thorough survey of phabricator though.

[Marco] https://github.com/ciampix/kicad-doc
[Phabricator] http://phabricator.org/