Re: Build options for asciidoc documentation

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 08:52:28PM +0000, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> To bring more people in on the documentation effort, I'd like to
> create a GitHub repo under the KiCad organisation so that people know
> it's the official place to work on the documentation.
>
> Do you think that's a good idea too?

No problem for me as long as I have direct write access to it for
convenience (=speed) and to continue my port.

> Do you want me to do recruitment for translation or documentation
> conversion or do you want me to just let you carry on doing the
> conversion and italian translation for a while?

Well if it will be placed into an "official" place, during the
announcement could be a good idea to stress to the fact that anyone is
willing to help is welcome (but of course this is always true, isn'it?
There is always paucity of hands in the open/free source world... ;-)

> It's up to you, I don't want to step on your amazing documentation
> effort.

>From the start I said that I will be grateful for every help I receive...
and this is not amazing if you understand my motivation...

1) First of all I am lazy
2) I was willing to start translating in Italian KiCad docs
because
 a) I was willing to know more about KiCad and this is a good method
to read all docs throughly,
 b) I find that translating into my native language all the KiCad docs,
I understand them better.
3) updating a translation from ODT is a nightmare and I am not willing to
wasting my time translating something that in a few months could become
obsolete and not easy to update

so my motivations comes down to spare my time (and yes, hoping at the
same time to do the same for other people too).

> I'm just going to be adding a CMake build system to it.

I know, and I thank you since I really do not know anything about CMake
(and my knowledge of make is scarce too anyway...)

> I'd like the repo to be under the KiCad organisation umbrella though
> so people know it's now official.

Don't worry I understand and agree.

I have only one concern: I reckon (but I could be totally wrong) that
converting a makefile into CMake could be difficult for you if you do not
understand completely why it works the way it does.

My stupid toolchain with just make and a few scripting is working in a
satisfactory way for my goal to have it working on my Ubuntu.

I really do not know how to convert it into CMake without breaking its
functionality and I am going to miss it if I want to continue updating it
while you are working on it.

I am afraid that could not be possible to mix and match two build sistems
(make and CMake) without affecting the functionality of one or the other.

So, maybe its better for you to just try and make a toolchain working for
just a little document, say CvPcb, (that I already have completely
translated into Italian), in the same way as I have done myself from the
start. When it fully works, producing multiple language and multiple
format versions correctly, it will be really easy to add all the other
docs to your CMake toolchain.

So for now you can start an unofficial dev branch with the CMake
toolchain and CvPcb and its translation(s) with it. When it works I will
add all the other docs that I can continue update in the meantime. We can
test it with all the docs and if it works satisfactorily we can "bless"
it and merge it into the official git doc repo.

What do you think about it?

--

Marco Ciampa

| GNU/Linux User  #78271 |