Re: you can say that it is something unimportant

On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 01:03:24PM +0200, jp charras wrote:
> Le 01/08/2015 12:32, Marco Ciampa a écrit :
> > You can say that it is something unimportant, and you probably are right,
> > a but for a translator point of view it is an eyesore, really...
> >
> > In english, adjectives have no genre nor number.
> > In Italian we say for example, for red:
> >
> > rosso (male singular)
> > rossa (female singular)
> > rossi (male plural)
> > rosse (female plural)
> >
> > So for example this string is always wrong translated:
> >
> > #: pcbnew/dialogs/dialog_general_options_BoardEditor_base.cpp:25
> > #: pcbnew/dialogs/dialog_pad_properties_base.cpp:68
> > #: gerbview/dialogs/gerbview_dialog_display_options_frame_base.cpp:25
> > msgid "Rectangular"
> > msgstr "Rettangolari"
> >
> > Since it is "Rettangolare" for a pad and "Rettangolari" for coords.
> > And I bet that it is the same in other languages too.
> >
> > There is a need to differentiate strings in the source code to allow
> > correct translation of terms.
> >
> > Gettext has a way to handle it using the "context":
> >
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Contexts.html
> >
> > I already mentioned this problem in this list:
> > https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg17986.html
> >
> > I just filed a bug report.
> >
> > Hope someone will find a way to resolve it...
> >

> As French translator, I know very well this kind of issue.
> There is also the case of a single English word or a too short message
> used in different contexts (High, Low, Top, Bottom ...) which needs
> different translations, depending on this context.

eh...

> For me, the best way is to modify the English message and use a longer
> sentence.

That, I am afraid, is not always possible/easy to do. The existence of
the gettext command I suggested is there to testify it.

> At least, translators have a better knowledge of the meaning of the
> message to translate (which is not always a menu).

This problem is another thing that a specific gettext option address
perfectly, see this for example:

This source code:

/* TRANSLATORS: The placeholder indicates the bug-reporting address
   for this package.  Please add _another line_ saying
   "Report translation bugs to <...>\n" with the address for translation
   bugs (typically your translation team's web or email address).  */
printf (_("Report bugs to <%s>.\n"), PACKAGE_BUGREPORT);

These will be extracted by ‘xgettext’, leading to a .pot file that contains this:

#. TRANSLATORS: The placeholder indicates the bug-reporting address
#. for this package.  Please add _another line_ saying
#. "Report translation bugs to <...>\n" with the address for translation
#. bugs (typically your translation team's web or email address).
#: src/hello.c:178
#, c-format
msgid "Report bugs to <%s>.\n"
msgstr ""

so there is no need to squeeze your head in the search of a meaningful
way to say something, you can simply suggest translators the right
meaning using developer comments...

> Just send me the references to these too short messages which cannot be
> safely or easily translated.

(this is to answer the nick post  also...) This is not as easy as it may
seems since it is not so immediate to know when a specific string will
pop up just looking at the sources... I usually stumble into an uncorrect
translation using the program...

--

Marco Ciampa

| GNU/Linux User  #78271 |