Re: you can say that it is something unimportant

Le 01/08/2015 12:32, Marco Ciampa a écrit :
> You can say that it is something unimportant, and you probably are right,
> a but for a translator point of view it is an eyesore, really...
>
> In english, adjectives have no genre nor number.
> In Italian we say for example, for red:
>
> rosso (male singular)
> rossa (female singular)
> rossi (male plural)
> rosse (female plural)
>
> So for example this string is always wrong translated:
>
> #: pcbnew/dialogs/dialog_general_options_BoardEditor_base.cpp:25
> #: pcbnew/dialogs/dialog_pad_properties_base.cpp:68
> #: gerbview/dialogs/gerbview_dialog_display_options_frame_base.cpp:25
> msgid "Rectangular"
> msgstr "Rettangolari"
>
> Since it is "Rettangolare" for a pad and "Rettangolari" for coords.
> And I bet that it is the same in other languages too.
>
> There is a need to differentiate strings in the source code to allow
> correct translation of terms.
>
> Gettext has a way to handle it using the "context":
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Contexts.html
>
> I already mentioned this problem in this list:
> https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg17986.html
>
> I just filed a bug report.
>
> Hope someone will find a way to resolve it...
>
> --
>

> Marco Ciampa

As French translator, I know very well this kind of issue.
There is also the case of a single English word or a too short message
used in different contexts (High, Low, Top, Bottom ...) which needs
different translations, depending on this context.

For me, the best way is to modify the English message and use a longer
sentence.
At least, translators have a better knowledge of the meaning of the
message to translate (which is not always a menu).

Just send me the references to these too short messages which cannot be
safely or easily translated.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS