Re: About collaboration, simulation, documentation, organisation, usability and documentation

Hi to all,

some other guys, like me, has developed external tools to improve the MCAD exports of board and component
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kicadstepup/
I started years ago to improve myself the 3d rendering, before the actual 3D realistic rendering was available in the main branch
https://a.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/kicad-3d/screenshots/demo-3D-cs.jpg
https://sourceforge.net/projects/kicad-3d/
and with that project there was a first attempt to export 3D models to 3d MCAD through external software (kicad, Meshlab, FreeCAD)

At the moment the new 3D ECAD to MCAD tool (kicad StepUp) is light, doesn't touch kicad code, and it works with the RC 'stable' release
It could be even work as a plugin invoked from python console...

Nobody asked me to do it, I just developed that because I needed to export my artwork to MCAD engineers and that feature was missing in kicad; and I wanted to share my result to kicad community

The tool is still not part of Kicad, it is just a personal development
but I know that the MCAD exporting feature is quite important for enclosure design and ECAD/MCAD collaboration Other commercial software put a lot of focus on that side, and ask to the customer extra fee to be able to have this feature for their design
http://a.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/kicadstepup/screenshots/hackrf-one-VRML-vs-STEP.jpg

I discover myself that with this tool I take less time to produce my equipment, particularly regarding mechanical/enclosure designing aspects An also I can get 3D models directly from manufacturers and use them in kicad

I'm waiting for the new 3D-viewer, and I will be happy to have a direct 3D mechanical viewer, exporter included into kicad itself, but for now I just enjoy my external script and I'm pleased to know that there are other kicad's users and devs that are enjoying too...

Maurice