Re: Changing units of Gerber plots

> On Feb 15, 2016, at 11:08 PM, Cirilo Bernardo <cirilo.bernardo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> There is really no point in writing Gerber files in inches; it would take some extraordinarily bad software to not work with metric units.  From a technical viewpoint using mm will require far fewer digits to represent a point to a given tolerance even if the design is on an imperial grid. I think effort is better spent finding out exactly why Seeed rejected the files.

I understand, I was just trying to figure out why they rejected the files. After some back and forth e-mail, I think it’s because they’re using an ancient version of Cam350 that doesn’t understand Gerber Extended Attributes. (I never did get a reply to the request: “Send me your actual official requirements!”)

For whatever reason, I had enabled Extended Attributes on the designs that got bounced. I re-ran the Gerbers with them off and I just sent the new files to them. We’ll see what happens.

But anyway, previously I did two boards in metric and one in inches, mainly because of board-size reasons, and it never occurred to me that the units would be a problem, and to be honest, I don’t think I paid attention to the units in the Gerbers. Accutrace was fine with what I sent.

-a