Re: Project Wiki?

On 7/25/2016 11:33 AM, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 25.07.2016 17:12, Nick Østergaard wrote:
>
>> Using pads we have no content control, but it is very easy to
>> brainstorm stuff.
>
> That would be fine if we can at some point finalize a proposal and
> archive it.
>
>> Using hugo, it will be done via github such that
>> pull request can be made from everyone and we can control what gets in
>> easily. We already have the tooling for hugo.
>
> So we'd just create a subdirectory on the website for design documents?
> I like that a lot, as it could be grown into developer documentation as
> well (also, create an index page and you've replaced Blueprints).
>
> Should I submit my stuff as a pull request to the website then?
>
>    Simon

I've looked a several ideas and I'm still not sold on any one single
solution that I've seen so far.  However, in the short term we (I) need
to come up with a reasonable solution so here is what I am proposing:

We use the launchpad blueprint system.  For simple blueprints, the white
board section should be adequate.  For complex blueprints, use the
github source mirror wiki by creating a new wiki page for the blueprint
and linking it to the blueprint.  Dick actually did this with the
modular-kicad blueprint[1] and it's pretty handy.

Once the blue print is discussed, agreed upon, and finalized, we should
fill in the "Work Items" section with the appropriate tasks.  There is a
nice example in the launchpad help on blueprints[2]

Unfortunately, there is no way to control who can add or change
blueprints so we have a bit of a mess with our current blueprints.  My
preference is that if you have a idea for a new blueprint, please
discuss it on the mailing list with [blueprint RFC] in the subject line
before you add a new blueprint.  The RFC should contain the blueprint
objectives that go in the whiteboard section of the blueprint.  I want a
consensus built on the objectives of the blueprint and approval from the
lead developers before we add a blueprint.

It is also important that person assigned to the blueprint keep it up to
date so I can use it as a tool to track what is going on with the
project.  Also, once a blueprint has been agreed upon no one should be
editing the design goals or tasks without approval from the lead developers.

I will take on the task of looking over the current list of blueprints
and try to get them up to date or at least bug the person assigned to
the blueprint to get and keep it up to date.  I will also mark any
blueprints that do not fit within the scope of the project as obsolete.
My goal is to complete this task by the end of September.

Please keep the comments sane.  I don't want to discuss this issue to
death.  I don't have time to review alternatives right now and I need to
have some reasonable way to keep track of the project.  Of course if you
are volunteering to do the work yourself, then I will be much more open
to discussing this matter further. :)

[1]: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kicad/+spec/modular-kicad
[2]: https://help.launchpad.net/Blueprint