Re: pcbnew - enable editing of associated net for tracks&vias

Le 11/10/2016 à 09:03, John Devereux a écrit :
> Strontium <strntydog@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> On 11/10/16 09:27, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>>>    I can't think of any valid case
>>> where you would want unconnected (floating) or partially connected (1
>>> connection) vias or vias that short different nets together.  If you can
>>> think of one, please elaborate.
>> No a via floating or otherwise should never validly short different
>> nets. 100% agree.
>
> There are of course "net ties" which can be exactly this.
>
> (Sorry if that is covered elsewhere, can you make a net tie component
> like that? I don't know kicad well.)
>
>> Single ended vias and traces, yes i believe there is a reason they
>> should be able to exist.
>
> Maybe an "access via" for manual soldering of a thermal pad under a QFN?
> Usually it would go to a ground plane though.
>
> Thanks,

In fact, net ties  (not yet really supported by Pcbnew, but there is a workaround) and complex
thermal pads are using pads, not vias.

In Kicad, vias are track segments, and pads are managed by footprints, therefore are managed by a
schematic, from the point of view of netnames.

I know some EDA tools (and users) do not make always a lot of difference between vias and pads, but
this is not the case in Kicad.
They are 2 fully separate entities.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS