Re: [RFC] BOM Editor

Hi, Thiadmer!

On 2017-02-14 12:21, Thiadmer Riemersma wrote:
> And as others have already observed: a BOM tools sits in the middle of workflow.

I agree here!

> The software to prepare our pick & place machine has a BOM editor.
> Our ordering/inventory system has a BOM editor too.
> So what I think is important is flexible export /and/ flexible import.

... but import/exporting data in between the tools is IMO still not the best solution I can imagine.
I/Os are off course still necessary, but using a lot of spreadsheet glue the processes seem more error-prone and are harder to verify for correctness when data is kept and needs to be synced in different places.

I wish/tend to centralize all my data in an (open / from different tools accessible) database storage as much as possible and keep only the relevant data in the different tools.
This approach seems also the trend in advanced commercial tools, however they use their own proprietary databases for customer-lock-in and sell it as best way for performance.

> So that changes made to the BOM can be imported into KiCad and back-annotated in the schematic.

Why not have one _database_ in between schematic and layout and manufacturing, assembly (and ERP and ...) and the tools just pick what they need?

Regards,

Clemens