Re: latest GerbView doesn't display test file

Hi!

On 2017-09-28 18:17, jp charras wrote:
> Le 28/09/2017 à 17:58, Jon Evans a écrit :
>> Perhaps another route is to improve the messaging given to the user in these cases, so that it's
>> easy for them to correct the file / report an issue to their tool vendor?
>
> Yes.
>
> In fact, %FSD is already supported by Gerbview because (a long time ago) I found Gerber files in
> decimal format (not documented, because %FSD was never a official Gerber format statement).
>
> This is the reason no error was reported: coordinates were read as floating numbers (in mm) and valid.

There are several Gerber files out there in the world with an %FSD... not only created by PADS. It seems they don't get displayed correctly now in general.

Interestingly, there is the "D" as Format Specifier already in the rs247x.cpp line 308 but it seems to be
handled correctly. This is not how it's supposed to be, I believe. Simply replacing the D with an L makes it somehow work (some restrictions may apply, investigating further).

So, even if some proprietary software is crap it won't help the user much if they cannot find a workaround or if they don't even get a hint that something was going wrong.

I'll loot into the details behind the "D" Specifier, when I find some time to do so...

Regards,

Clemens