Re: Future plans on the KiCad library releases?

Hi Matthijs,

On 01/17/2018 08:55 AM, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
[snip]
> Additionally, I don't really want to think about this when upgrading. If
> I upgrade the libraries package, I really want to still be able to just
> use all official libraries, without having to check after each upgrade
> if there is perhaps a new .lib file that was not there before (which, I
> think, involves removing them all and re-adding them as the easiest way
> to do that). Currently, if some symbols are split off into a new
> library, and I forget to check this, they will silently disappear from
> my choice of symbols, and I might not even realize this (and simply
> assume a symbol I am looking for does not exist yet).
>
> Even if I wanted to go through the trouble of checking the library list
> on upgrades, I might not always actually realise that I've upgraded when
> using distribution packages that get upgraded as part of a bigger
> upgrade.
>
> What I write here is how *I* would like to see things as a user. I can
> imagine this applies to more, if not most, users as well.

I can easily imagine a message saying: "Why do you guys modify my
perfectly organized symbol library table when I update the libraries
package? I have carefully picked the libraries that are useful to me, so
I do not need to go through a long list when selecting components. Now I
need to reorganize them again!".

Just saying that one size does not fit everyone. Perhaps there is a
smarter solution in between, like a possibility to import/export
sym-lib-table. This way one can easily update the official library list
if needed, and otherwise the table is not touched.

Regards,
Orson