Re: Packaging question

Am 26.02.2018 um 19:42 schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:

Can someone please help Steve out here?  I don't know where our fedora
packages are being maintained so I would appreciate someone confirming
this patch.  I don't know that there is much we can do about the
upstream situation.

Thanks,

Wayne

Cheers,

Hi,

I'm not involved in Fedora upstream packaging, but like Steve I have spent some time to set up a packaging environment for my own, personal nightly and release builds, as I am not very happy with the current state of the official nightly copr builds. I based my work on what is published in the fedora-packaging repository on GitHub. Unfortunately the SPEC file is in a poor shape and I ended up rewriting it almost completely. My private version of both the nightly [1] and release [2] packaging is available online.

I also set up an unofficial KiCad release copr (aimylios/kicad-release) [3]. The build of 5.0.0-rc1 is still in progress and it might take a couple of hours until the package is available.

One of the biggest changes I made is to move the libraries into separate packages (similar to what Carsten has done):
kicad
kicad-doc
kicad-templates
kicad-symbols
kicad-footprints
kicad-packages3D
Hopefully this or a similar scheme will be adopted by upstream or at least for the nightlies.

I would also like to help improving the nightly builds, but I'd prefer if this could be handled via pull requests over at the fedora-packaging repository [4]. No need to spam the developers mailing list with all this packaging stuff. In the end, we Fedora users are still a minority.

Keep up the great work!

Best regards,
Marcus

[1] https://github.com/aimylios/fedora-kicad-packaging/tree/develop