Re: Why do current nightlies report that they are kicad 5.0.0-rc2?

Am 13.03.2018 um 17:05 schrieb Eeli Kaikkonen:

>> I know what the G means, just wish git describe had an option to disable
>> it, since it makes copy/paste more tedious.
>>
>> I think if we had left the tag at rc1, then we'd just have users thinking
>> they had rc1 when they really have a newer nightly. Better to make a new
>> tag that doesn't include rcN in it, or at least tries to make it a lot more
>> obvious that it isn't a RC version despite having those letters in the
>> string.
>>
> In a project where I took part in we solved a similar problem by using
> {previous-tagged-version-number}+{version-control-reference}, for example
> 5.0RC1+gitXXXXX. We felt the plus sign is less ambiguous.

That would be the correct way and done by a lot of projects.

The now additional tag -rc2-dev makes it more difficult for
distributions to determine if a new version is available.

-rc2* is greater as -rc1 and I'd need to tune the watch file again in
Debian we use (and it's already a bit more complicated due the dfsg + rc
part). The added tag -rc2-dev solves nothing and shouldn't be used in
future situations.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert