Re: Fwd: Re: What are the smallest values for pad paste and mask clearances? Why can't polygon pads not use negative mask clearance?

It still looks to me that the original problem wasn't understood, and I
wasn't able to make it clear. A Solder Mask Defined footprint means that
the solder mask opening is smaller than the underlying copper area. It may
also be differently shaped than the underlying copper pad. Also the paste
area may be differently shaped than the copper or solder mask. In these
cases it should be possible to define the mask and paste areas exactly,
without adding or removing anything. The logical way of doing it, if KiCad
had took it into consideration, would be to draw the pad shape and set the
clearances to 0, and the pad would always keep the exact dimensions. But
now, because 0 is a special case and means "add here some other value" the
pad dimensions - we are talking about non-copper pads - will change
unpredictably. This works for normal Non Solder Mask Defined pads with
copper, but not for pads which are mask only or paste only.

The only possible solution ATM is to give very small clearance values so
that the original size of a mask-only pad is for example 0.3x0.45mm and the
efficient value will be 0.300001x0.450001mm. If the clearances are left to
0 they can be anything, depending on the project's values, and the
footprint doesn't work anymore. Remember that modern Solder Mask Defined
footprints are mostly very small and tolerances are small. You can't add or
remove 0.05mm without it going wrong.

See for example http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slra003d/slra003d.pdf

Eeli Kaikkonen