kicad-developers team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
Re: 5.1 stable release
Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx>
Fri, 11 Jan 2019 15:08:35 -0500
addr=stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx; prefer-encrypt=mutual; keydata= mQGiBEM0hxQRBAC2fNh3YOVLu1d5GZ0SbrTNldGiGnCJPLqzEnqFX9v6jmf33TMt6EmSLkl6 Wtfkoj0nVwKxcYmJkA8DX0QAokBkwNIzhSsBzQvthBLIk/5LnPVVKrEXOcL4mUyH1doKlkaE slgJozNa6Av+oavcvD02o1zJOloBbaHlNlyRt7fKswCgtIFlVjWggVH/15KfWk+Qo5JVPbME AIUBAQyL2OAx0n60AWec2WHnO9buHuG0ibtICgUMkE+2MRmYyKwYRdyVwGoIUemFuOyHp0AJ InX4T+vy2E7vkwODqjtMLfIoRkokW74Fi4nrvjlhOAw/vdq/twLbAmR9MOfPTpR4y7kQy1O2 /n+RkkRvh26vTzfbQmrH7cBJhk6aA/9Uwvu3E4zNJgHVZeS0HyWtmR1eOPPRbnkPgJTToX5O KMKzTJI/FX6kT7cFoCamitHrW3BJP4Dx+cMMsa47EGxqVTdbVJ4LjogsXTXxb+0Fn1u4zBdx x3Cer6O7+hqWy7zvpzeC6nSREjqDKa5CgHtv/GLm5uFPOmsjAsnHj2tlBrQmV2F5bmUgU3Rh bWJhdWdoIDxzdGFtYmF1Z2h3QGdtYWlsLmNvbT6IeAQTEQIAOBYhBOffs6CbblRzBkv33BtR cWlZ+CReBQJbFBS2AhsDBQsJCAcCBhUKCQgLAgQWAgMBAh4BAheAAAoJEBtRcWlZ+CReMI8A nRbrLkzp7+c2f0vX7sfg4ICX8LAKAJ9uClo4uJajmZa5zZrL2nKdZlUwIrkCDQRDNIcxEAgA gCru+3/aOC6RCjpvYC72wY+d5SmHphC6yeiV2/mOumyt5MLo/Ps2GznZr11JspqFk5K/Zpvp MMLqqjDZ39+50a2iKRQFJ6NlK+hJWMmj6eJygQrCwYo3Gjc6CqfrqUv+8VSnf/i5sIZmtOVA 4ZjML18MuBvMSsNdVLFJd5HNnYb1iOECpvqdPVh/21LLCEw7MUUGGnHBhCrmk2aJe5hFmcSN g4ldBcXrgMQBwf7aMVoobXBMFDb/IENByXn0llB7Gr2IFMRmNS9/p8s/II1Yl2bTqyX4FSz8 cfn7C9KEz7faZ7wzAcpwHFC/zs3JoAjJ0IEKdNUpIwAlKMzT3CzctwADBQf/cxpG28MKyrqk nNmq/8LQLy+x6FSYXBLjxQz9BiBNYeesDZQ6J5UbL1mjpJzMa5tLZypPYo4bbGyR22hrbyDF K7m6AcVaMIJKl98g4ukMutFfAJyRDaREH5Zl/X1P4u1Z/yaAIy9mKaNbaK1/5djNJ5wCTFen TUgAp9xdc30kGkFDdLJFp5uxDY4P0vaZiZdjUCvDM3Zjv5IzpNOfxVqTUBQNUP/BnnKhkk0p DTD6s3X8S+D0rOtEBQ8K0cwERI/E8EFa8nj0TNw4e2MYGR8wg+SxqJ7z5f0zPY0bO6G9DDFB wYCqzzPWGqdAh9vA5971TAbPERtdFybhkurozp2SfYhJBBgRAgAJBQJDNIcxAhsMAAoJEBtR cWlZ+CResHUAniULLCWiT26ieRTl7N2vS6vBo/DuAJ4m7Ss/gyiW6ybTn1ctDXAUgm2QVQ==
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/60.3.1
On 1/11/19 2:54 AM, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Hello Wayne,
> I've some further questions regarding the planned version 5.1 and
> switching to GTK3+.
> Am 17.12.18 um 16:18 schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:
>> The other option assuming you have the gtk3 variant of wxwidgets
>> installed (if not `sudo apt-get install libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev`) you can
>> make that your default wxwidgets version by running `sudo
>> update-alternatives --config wx-config` and select the appropriate
>> version of wx-config. You should be able to build kicad normally.
>> If you want to compile using phoenix and python 3 you need to install
>> python-wxgtk4.0. I seem to remember having to install another package
>> to get the dev headers but I don't remember what that was off the top of
>> my head. Once you have the python packages installed you can build
>> kicad with -DKICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON and
>> I've successfully build kicad this way on both Debian testing and Ubuntu
> I was thinking (for some time) about building some random version of the
> current master branch, aka devel branch for 5.1, with a later upload to
> Debian experimental if things going well. But the main question for
> doing this is the question of switching finally to GTK3+/WxPython4 also
> by the preparations.
> The background for doing a rather unusual upload of a random devel
> snapshot of KiCad to experimental is the starting freeze period for the
> next Debian release called Buster right on this weekend .
> Doing a build with WxWidgets backend based on GTK3+ and WxPython4 isn't
> a real technical problem I guess. But it makes not really since to do
> this if this is contrary to the current plannings for 5.1.
> So, what is the current status regarding to the default build options
> for the KiCad applications?
> I haven't looked really into the CMake files recently, is using GTK3+
> WxWidgets already the standard or is this planned soon to do the
> modification of the CMake files?
> The same question belongs to WxPython4/Phoenix.
> Or if switching the default build options hasn't happen yet how useful
> would a build with GTK3+/WxPython4 than be?
> Given the freeze plan for Buster KiCad 5.1 I see a chance to get this
> version into Buster if KiCad 5.1 has entered Testing before 2019-03-12.
> That's not to far away. So let's use the time to make things happen if
>  https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html
I doubt we will default to gtk3+/Phoenix anytime soon but I do think it
would be a good idea to create a build using this configuration so we
can get wider testing. I'm guessing that for the most part, it's only
devs using this configuration which severely limits the amount of
testing we have. Whether or not it would be a good idea to make this
the default configuration for Debian Buster and later is a another
thing. I don't think we have enough good testing information at this
point to make and educated decision. I'm opposed to it but my fear is
if things go sideways, we wont have the manpower to react in a manner
that wont alienate users.