Re: 5.1.0-rc1

Hi Carsten,

On 2/6/2019 12:51 PM, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> Am 06.02.19 um 17:42 schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:
>> Any idea where we stand with wxPhoenix/python3 builds?
>
> the build of KiCad for Debian experimental [1] is build with wxPython4
> (aka Phoenix) and Python3 scripting support.

Any idea the number of unique downloads?  I'm guessing not many users
install from experimental.

> I've got no bug reports about the snapshot versions of KiCad in
> experimental about issues in KiCad itself so far, a few days ago GLM
> 0.9.9.3 was uploaded to unstable and currently kicad is failing to build
> from source (FTBFS) and a bug was raised against kicad. I will need to
> build now with clang, will adjust this on the next weekend I guess.

I'm not sure what the issue is with glm and gcc but it has been rather
annoying.  Hopefully clang wont make any changes that breaks the build.

> Locally I work only with the version from experimental and have also not
> seen remarkable issues.
>
>> I'm wondering if we have enough user testing with this configuration
>> to feel comfortable enabling it for 5.1.  Do we even have any
>> packaged builds with this configuration for users to test?  I haven't
>> seen any bug reports directly attributed to this so either it works
>> as well as wxPython/python2 or very few users are running it and it
>> is not well tested.
> Now that 5.1.0-rc1 is tagged the next upload can go to Debian unstable,
> so a broader user base will get this version. I'm on the other hand
> really excited and impressed that no new issues are opened up against
> the kicad package in Debian in the recent past! So people maybe really
> be tired about opening issues or there are no issues to open. ;)

Let's hope it's the latter and we can get some more testing when kicad
makes it into unstable.