Re: GitLab migration

Hi!

Am 09.10.19 um 20:45 schrieb Steven A. Falco:
> On 10/9/19 12:36 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> The lead development team has been discussing migrating the KiCad
>> project to GitLab[1].
>
> For packagers, I'm curious as to how creating an archive from a tag
> would work.  Currently, to grab the source from launchpad, we use a
> URL like:>
> https://launchpad.net/kicad/5.0/%{version}/+download/kicad-%{version}.tar.xz
>
> where %{version} is a Fedora macro that expands to the desired
> version.  This apparently works because Wayne explicitly uploads the
> tarball to launchpad.>
> For github, we use:
>
> https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-doc/archive/%{version}.tar.gz
>
> This works because github has an API that creates the tarball on-demand.
>
> I found some references regarding how this works in GitLab.  For
> example, please see Issue 38830:>
> https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-foss/issues/38830
>
> According to that issue, you can request a tarball from GitLab,
> similarly to what you would do with GitHub.  However, when you
> request a tarball of a tag, the SHA will be part of the filename.
> Worse, the top level directory will also contain the SHA.
Why do you think that such an important feature isn't available in GitLab?

> https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/tags

On the right side there is a download icon, have a look at the
referenced URLs.

> This will complicate packaging, because we'll need to know the
> expected SHAs for each of the 7 repos, and rename the directories as
> the tarballs are unpacked.  Or I suppose we could use wildcards to
> achieve the same thing.  It is certainly doable, but it is a bit
> ugly.

I usually prefer to create the tarball on my machine by the 'git
archive' command.
But you can also use the plain GitLab API to request a download URL. But
that's not really needed as the various download URLs are predictable.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert