Re: 5.1.5 release status

I see -DNDEBUG defined in windows release builds where CMake is
configured with -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release.  Is this not the case with
Linux and/or macos?  Did we make the mistake of doing something like:

set( CMAKE_COMPILER_FLAGS "-foo" )

instead of:

set( CMAKE_COMPILER_FLAGS "${CMAKE_COMPILER_FLAGS} -foo" )

in one of the none windows build code paths?  Doing this will wipe out
any compiler flags set by CMake.