Re: V6 documentation

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 2:12 PM Steven A. Falco <stevenfalco@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Not to put words in your mouth, but it sounds like the code will be
> changed so that when someone clicks on the Help menu, they will get the
> on-line version, if possible.
> And only if the on-line version cannot be accessed, the code would then
> automatically fall back to the off-line (local) version.  Do I have the
> proposal correct?  If so, I like it.

Yes, something like that.  But, instead it could be to use the offline
version if present, and fall back to the online version if absent.  Then it
would be up to the packager to decide whether or not to include the offline
docs (I'd propose to drop them from the Windows and Mac packages that we
provide).

> It might also be good to have a warning somewhere, perhaps in the off-line
> version itself, that it is not necessarily current, along with a suggestion
> to go retrieve the on-line version manually.

Yes, I think this is important, just have to figure out how to add it to
the generated documentation but not the website.

> It would still be helpful if the doc repo could be tagged at the same
> point that everything else is tagged, because every single Fedora package
> needs a correct version in its name.  For example, it would be very strange
> (perhaps "illegal") to package something called the 6.0.1 doc that came
> from some random SHA in an untagged tree.

I am not trying to break any distro's packaging requirements for the sake
of making people's lives hard, I am just trying to make it so the average
KiCad user who has access to the online docs finds them first.

Maybe one option would be to not install the documentation package by
default when the user selects the main kicad package.  That way, a user who
just installs kicad will get the online docs redirect, and one who cares
about offline docs can manually install the extra package?