Re: Fwd: Re: About library naming conventions

Here is something a tad more complete. I have separated the convention in
sub-sections, and obviously many more need to be added.

General Rules:

1. Writing uses C-style naming with the first letter of each word being
capitalized. Ex: "Socket_Strip_Straight_2x06"
2. Every acronym has all of its letters capitalized.
3. Manufacturer name is capitalized as usual. Ex: NEC, Microchip
4. Component name must match its filename
5. When dimensions are used in part name, they are in millimeters and unit
is not capitalized. Ex: "Cap_10x13mm_RM5"

Surface-Mount Devices:

1. Specific package feature first, not separated by anything.
2. Package name, numbers separated from letters using hyphen Ex: "SOT-89"
3. Variation of package, separated by another hyphen. Ex: "SOT-23-5"
4. If it's a manufacturer-specific package, name can be appended, separated
by an underscore.
5. If the pad length is intentionally different than what is suggested in
the datasheet, it is indicated by appending the reason. Ex: to facilitate
hand soldering of a QFN component: "QFN-52_HandSoldering"

Through-Hole Capacitors:

1. Begins with "Cap_", then it is the dimension, and finally the RM rating.
Ex: "Cap_10x13mm_RM5"

Symbols:

1. Default 300mil pin length is used.

Footprints:

1. Follows datasheet recommendation unless intentional variation, for
example longer pads for hand soldering
2. Pad 1 is placed at the top left corner
3. For through-hole components, origin is set on pad 1.
4. For surface-mount devices, origin is placed in the middle of the chip.

I'd like to hear your thoughts about all of this.

Regards,

Carl