Re: Today's project page review

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Christian Robottom
Reis<kiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 10:46:40AM +1000, Jonathan Lange wrote:
>> However, I think that putting _everything_ that might potentially be
>> of interest in the one page will have the net effect of making
>> features less visible.
>
> I guess I agree for certain use cases, but for the project newcomer or
> someone who wants an overview of the project activity, that's a good way
> of conveying it. Perhaps a better way of doing that would be via a
> timeline with some interesting form of visualization, but I don't have a
> design for that in my head.

A timeline approach would work well, I think. beuno and I discussed
how that might work last week. The page already has many different
timelines (latest bugs, latest blueprints etc). These could be
collapsed into one timeline (although, oi, the query!).

I don't think the current project page design is good for a newcomer
to the project. For downloading a file, it's great. For getting
involved, less so.

When you say "someone who wants an overview of the project activity",
who do you mean? It sounds specific, and I don't think I've ever had
that use-case before.

I think an interesting question about the project page is this: If we
had wiki / web-hosting, how would this page be different? I'm still
chewing over the answer.

jml