Re: RFC: Bugs index page redesign

2009/9/3 Christian Robottom Reis <kiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 10:12:52AM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
>> I'll prod again at the idea of filing a bug by typing into the text
>> box, having it show just the matching bugs, and then having a new link
>> to report a bug - so dupefinding and other kinds of search will be
>> more unified.  (Think, to use a somewhat weird analogy, of tree
>
> Hmmm. The performance impact of dupefinding today would cause real
> problems if we did things this way, but I can see how it would be neat
> to do this -- a big box which says "Describe the problem you're
> experiencing" and you'd get searching without a page load!
>
> OTOH, this only supports the "find a specific bug" use case for bug
> searching; the other use case, build a list to look at, still needs
> advanced controls and so on. But maybe that's where our interface falls
> apart -- we only have one generic mechanism for both use cases.

There are a few separate bits here.

 * Typeahead find, and/or doing dupefinding on all searches, and I can
see how they would have big performance impacts, so let's leave it for
now.

 * Letting people start describing the bug they want to file without
is important; it can be done either through a popup to report a bug or
by using the text field on this page to file a bug.

 * Having just one field with two buttons, so you can either search or
file a bug using the same control.  The current page looks a bit like
it would work this way, but it actually does not.  I think this would
be cool to try.  It might be good or it might just be confusing.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>