Re: Data point on site-wide search capability and domain branding.

2009/9/3 Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Karl Fogel<karl.fogel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>> In my experience this is a non-issue: you search google with 'distcc
>>> connection refused' and it searches the list archives plus more
>>> distribution-specific data or third-party data than will ever be
>>> collected on the project site.  Google will infer the cross-site
>>> links.
>>
>> Site search is still important because it's a natural bound that the
>> user might try to use: "I know what I'm looking for is in the project's
>> Launchpad pages, because I've seen it before or I was told it's there --
>> now I just have to find it".

There seems to be a tension here between "I want everything on one
site so I can search it" and "I want to restrict search to one site so
that I don't search everything."

Maybe the desired distinction is "I want everything *official* on one
site so that I can search only that."

Possibly then you'd want bugs.bzr.launchpad.net etc, and/or to allow
people to put cnames to launchpad inside your own domain, as you can
with eg the hosted wordpress service.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>