Re: RFC: Bugs index page redesign

Hi, Martin, Kiko, et al. :)

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Martin Pool<mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/9/3 Christian Robottom Reis <kiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 10:12:52AM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
>>> I'll prod again at the idea of filing a bug by typing into the text
>>> box, having it show just the matching bugs, and then having a new link
>>> to report a bug - so dupefinding and other kinds of search will be
>>> more unified.  (Think, to use a somewhat weird analogy, of tree
>>
>> Hmmm. The performance impact of dupefinding today would cause real
>> problems if we did things this way, but I can see how it would be neat
>> to do this -- a big box which says "Describe the problem you're
>> experiencing" and you'd get searching without a page load!
>>
>> OTOH, this only supports the "find a specific bug" use case for bug
>> searching; the other use case, build a list to look at, still needs
>> advanced controls and so on. But maybe that's where our interface falls
>> apart -- we only have one generic mechanism for both use cases.
>
> There are a few separate bits here.
>
>  * Typeahead find, and/or doing dupefinding on all searches, and I can
> see how they would have big performance impacts, so let's leave it for
> now.
>
>  * Letting people start describing the bug they want to file without
> is important; it can be done either through a popup to report a bug or
> by using the text field on this page to file a bug.
>
>  * Having just one field with two buttons, so you can either search or
> file a bug using the same control.  The current page looks a bit like
> it would work this way, but it actually does not.  I think this would
> be cool to try.  It might be good or it might just be confusing.

I know we didn't do an ack on your first email about this, Martin, but
your one search suggestion has figured prominently in discussions
about mockups.  We tossed around a bunch of ideas.  Kiko has outlined
some of the problems already that came up as we got into specifics of
doing this, and Tom and I in our own prior discussions settled on
trying something like your last point here.

We may try to do something like this still, but time is slipping away
on us for completing our 3.0 work.  We may not get all we want with
this bugs home redesign, but we'll certainly take new ideas into the
4.0 cycle.

I do think the general goal for the bugs home of making the page more
useable without click throughs, for both searching and bug filing,
will be present as we work out the real page from the mockup, even if
we don't get the ideal version of a one-search bar interface you
describe.

Cheers,
deryck

--