Re: Using reStructured Text instead of moin syntax in the wiki?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Tom Berger <tom.berger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> 2009/9/16 Barry Warsaw <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Sep 16, 2009, at 12:33 PM, Karl Fogel wrote:
> >
> >> I think your comfort with reST syntax is interfering with your ability
> >> to see the inherent editor-unfriendliness of having a two syntaxes in
> >> the same wiki :-).
> >
> > I can see that a wiki gardener's job will be harder if s/he has to learn
> two
> > syntaxes, but it should be plainly obvious when looking at the raw text
> of a
> > page which format is being used.  The first line of all rest pages will
> be
> >
> > #FORMAT rst
> >
> > Now here's another interesting question that this leads to.  If/when we
> ever
> > get something like wikis in Launchpad, what format(s) are we going to
> > support?  I hope to Guido we won't perpetuate the madness which is moin.
> ;)
>
> Moin, and I'm not sure it's so mad. Moin is more popular (among wiki
> users) than ReST and in many cases it is closer to the syntax of other
> wikis than ReST. There are some things I like better about its syntax
> too. Headers are much nicer to read and write in moin, for example.

+1.Whats wrong with the moin syntax? Besides being more similiar to other
wiki syntaxs like Tom mentions, I've often found moin has has a pretty
intutive syntax and doesn't require "html syntax" as much unlike mediawiki.

ReST actually looks really confusing. Doesn't it use grave accents for some
things? I imagine that'll really confuse folks who don't normally use that
key and confuse it for the apostrophe. Plus I don't like how it makes you
type *more* to do the same things, ex:

 1. Titles: They have to be underlined (or overlined AND underlined) with a
printing nonalphanumeric 7-bit ASCII character ( recommended choices are "=
- ` : ' " ~ ^ _ * + # < >") and the underline/overline must be atleast as
long as the title text. So besides needing to get a table of all the
different 7-bit ASCII characters so I can see if something is a title or
not, my fingers are going to hurt from all the extra typing.

 2. Hyperlinks:  Wow. Talk about confusing.  There are direct, indirect,
internal, embedded, anonymous, and implicit hyperlinks. They all involve an
underscore (or two) and probably some grave accents.

Python_ is `my favourite programming language`__.

> .. _Python: http://www.python.org/
>
> __ Python_

The above produces this: Python <http://www.python.org/> is my favourite
programming language <http://www.python.org/>.

Apparently, the second link is both an indirect hyperlink target and an
anonymous hyperlink target. The double underscore would be your anonymous
hyperlink *reference*. I guess we learn something new everyday, eh?

3. Tables: Besides the only difference between a table header and a title
using '=' or '-' is a space, if a vertical bar is used in the text of a cell
that lines up with the column boundaries, it'll interpret it as the boundry
of the cell. wait... you have to line up the table boundaries? I want to
write a wikipage, not compose ASCII art.

Anyhow, I can see how ReST is good for somethings (like when you place high
value on the readability of the markup, ex. doctests) but I can't see it
working for a high traffic wiki. With ReST being so technical and elaborate,
you'd be going around all day fixing the formatting breakage caused by other
people who aren't familiar.

Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer
Foundations Team