Re: Launchpad Homepage 3.0

2009/9/24 Martin Albisetti <argentina@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>> And on every other page but the home page, the useful global search
>>> box has disappeared to the page footer and I really wish it would come
>>> back.  The top right is standard, and I suspect it's a useful crutch
>>> when people can't work out how else to navigate.
>>>

>> I think you are right. beuno, what are your thoughts?
>
> It's probably the right thing to do, but, it's not that simple. Our
> new UI takes the focus away from Launchpad, and focuses on the project
> branding. If we have a search box up there, people will be fooled into
> thinking they will search on that project as they may not really be
> aware they are "in the launchpad universe". If we can limit searches
> to per-project as well as offer a launchpad-wide search, then moving
> the search box to the top right again is a no-brainer.
> It was moved to the bottom because of the lack of this functionality.

There is a real issue here because the default search often finds many
things that are not relevant.  However it is pretty subtle.

I often use global search to search across multiple related projects,
to find bugs that are actually in qbzr or launchpad-code when I'm
looking at bzr, or to find upstream bugs or bugs in another package
when looking at one Ubuntu bug.  So just restricting it to the current
pillar would probably be a regression of functionality.

On the other hand Google has taught people pretty well to narrow down
searches by adding keywords, and to me people seem pretty happy with
how Launchpad's search works now, so I think project-limited search
may be a low priority.

... I think this is particularly true because Launchpad has strong
ideas about how things are organized and that structure is not
completely obviously intuitive to even fairly experienced users.  So
if you limit the search to some context, you'd run the risk of
breaking it for people who don't understand just what context they're
in, and historically that's most users.

Most complaints are about structured search within say bugs.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>