Re: Launchpad Homepage 3.0

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I often use global search to search across multiple related projects,
> to find bugs that are actually in qbzr or launchpad-code when I'm
> looking at bzr, or to find upstream bugs or bugs in another package
> when looking at one Ubuntu bug.  So just restricting it to the current
> pillar would probably be a regression of functionality.

This is only because you know that the field is global search. With
the current design, everything will imply that you're searching in a
project.

> On the other hand Google has taught people pretty well to narrow down
> searches by adding keywords, and to me people seem pretty happy with
> how Launchpad's search works now, so I think project-limited search
> may be a low priority.

Again, people will only do this if they know it's a global search.

> ... I think this is particularly true because Launchpad has strong
> ideas about how things are organized and that structure is not
> completely obviously intuitive to even fairly experienced users.  So
> if you limit the search to some context, you'd run the risk of
> breaking it for people who don't understand just what context they're
> in, and historically that's most users.
>
> Most complaints are about structured search within say bugs.

Yes, search is very important in Launchpad, although it is less so for
people who live in one project, not multiple ones.

If we don't limit the scope, people will learn, again, that
Launchpad's search is not something useful.

--
Martin