Re: RFC: Bug page 3.0 redesign

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 09:21:02PM +0000, Tom Berger wrote:
> Actually think that there are other legitimate reasons to subscribe to
> all bugs. I like subscribing to projects wholesale just so that I
> accumulate the bug mail in my gmail and can search for it there, for
> example. Another use case is as a push channel for automated tools.

For Ubuntu specifically the answer is to subscribe to the google-indexed
ubuntu-bugs mailing list. For other projects maybe that's the right
answer too -- by default we create a mailing list that holds all bugmail
ever generated for you.

> I think there are two things that need fixing:
>
> 1. The subscription interface should make it very clear what to expect
> in regards to incoming mail volume. It happens that users subscribe to
> Ubuntu without realising what they're doing and then agonize about
> getting so much email.

I don't know if a number or graph can convey the actual problem, though.
And it's a lot of work to find that out.

> 2. The list of subscribers doesn't work well for bugs with a huge
> number of subscribers. We'll have to come up with a better way of
> providing this information.

Yeah, I actually proposed the collapsing above. But an easy fix is still
getting rid of the Ubuntu [mis-]subscribers. Can we fix that before we
do anything else?
--
Christian Robottom Reis | [+55 16] 3376 0125 | http://launchpad.net/~kiko