Re: Packageset URLs (Was: Re: pre-implementation call re. package set traversal change)

Bjorn Tillenius wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 05:36:40PM +0100, Muharem Hrnjadovic wrote:
>> I guess we are a bit lucky this time. As far as I am aware only Colin
>> Watson has been using the package sets until now.
>
> Well, that's the point, you said "As far as I am aware", which means
> that you don't know who are using them :) That's the thing when you
> expose something via the API, you get people to use it in ways you
> didn't expect. Sure, for package sets this might not be the case.
>

>> It seems we are all in violent agreement regarding the (new) package set
>> URL :) it shall be as follows:
>>
>>     /$distribution/$distroseries/+packageset/$packageset
>>
>> e.g. "/ubuntu/karmic/+packages/mozilla"
>
> One question, though. From IRC:
>
>     < jml> al-maisan, AIUI, DistributionPackageSets have names too, right?
>     < jml> al-maisan, where are you putting them in the traversal?
>     < al-maisan> jml: no
>     < al-maisan> we did away with the names for DistributionPackageSets
>
> We did away with the explicit name, but a DistributionPackageSets still
> has an implicit name.

I am not sure what you mean here..

> How do you navigate to a package set from /ubuntu? I would assume that

> you would stay in the Distribution context, and have something like
> /ubuntu/+packageset/mozilla. This is similare to how you navigate to
> source packages.

Not sure whether the analogy still holds here since related package sets
may be renamed across distro series i.e. an URL like

    /ubuntu/+packageset/mozilla

would require that we associate package sets through their names which
is not quite right if we e.g. have the following related sets:

    karmic/mozilla, lucid/mozilla-packages, lucid+1/mozilla-foundation

That's the very reason why we introduced the package set group (aka
DistributionPackageset).

How would we navigate to a given package set group PSG then? One way
would be to access it via /any/ of its package sets.

The package set UI page could have a list of related package sets or a
link like "Show related packages.."

[..]

Best regards

--