Re: Bug heat UI

2010/1/13 Deryck Hodge <deryck.hodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I don't think its necessarily an either/or question -- i.e. either do
> bug heat, or fix these affects count bugs.  See the story-bug-heat
> tag, which is a list of bugs we need to fix to consider bug heat
> finished.
>
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/malone/+bugs?field.tag=story-bug-heat
>
> We are trying to do both.  The affects count bugs were originally part
> of the Bug Q&A story, but since they've become more relevant with work
> on bug heat and bug Q&A is on hold until we can ensure reliable bug
> syncing, we've pulled over some of the affects bugs to the bug heat
> story tag.  I've just now added the bug for having a personal affects
> page because you mentioned it here and it fits in nicely.

Actually there was already
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/malone/+bug/283539 (affects 33 people
:-)

> Also, the hope is that bug heat will be more than just a cumulative
> affected users count.  If it turns out to be only affected users, then
> we've done something wrong.  The heat number will change over time,
> which is one difference.  Also, I think subscribers and affected users
> are different and should be considered as such.  And keep in mind,
> we're going with the simplest calculation possible as a first pass.
> We may very likely factor in status/importance or recent bug activity
> or any other factors as we see what the initial heat numbers look like
> and get feedback from users.

That does make sense, and if the main outcome of it is a tasteful
little badge that's always present on the bug I can imagine it would
gradually infuse your awareness in a useful way.

> I do think we are trying to do what serves our users best, but the
> bugs app has a wide range of users, often with competing interests.

Yes, I think you've been doing great work, and better this cycle than before.

Thanks for explaining the bug heat stuff and listening to my thoughts on it.
--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>