Re: Wow, have you seen this? The Ground Control project?

On Feb 1, 2010, at 16:05 , Maris Fogels wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> If you haven't seen this project yet, you really should.  It is called Ground Control, created by Martin Owens:
>
>    Ground Control Demonstration
>    http://doctormo.wordpress.com/2010/01/27/ground-control-demonstration/
>
>    "Hey everyone, I’ve released version 1.0.6 of ground control into my PPA, this is a fairly stable Beta which I hope everyone will give a good testing.
>
>    "For new users: Ground control is a project that hopes to bring the collaboration of launchpad and bazaar branches to every day users abilities. It does away with the need for a command line and has removed a lot of the complex distractions leaving a simplified workflow for users to follow. It uses all the existing libraries and practices of the community, so if you need to move back to the command line you can continue were you left off.
>
>    "To show you what it can do I have done a video (you have to click into my blog article to see it)
>

> You should really check out the video.  I never imagined people would use Launchpad this way :)

GC is really quite nice.  I learned about it last week when the "other" Jono mentioned it.

Interestingly my first attempt to use it failed b/c my SSH key has newlines embedded in it.  I was able to get a copy of GC and apply a three line patch to fix that bug and then use GC to push it and create a merge proposal.  Round trip to having it reviewed and merged into trunk was less than 15 minutes.

One of the reasons that bug even existed is because we don't export SSH keys via the API and Martin had to screen scrape the keys.  I've contacted him and mentioned I'd like to follow up to find out what problems he may have had due to what we don't yet export in the API.

I was also a bit creeped out typing my Launchpad credentials directly into this third-party application for the OAUTH dance.

--bac