Re: Python2.6

On Feb 02, 2010, at 07:33 AM, Muharem Hrnjadovic wrote:

>IIRC this was discussed extensively in Barcelona last year and the
>agreement was to include python2.5 in Lucid as well.
>Wasn't doko supposed to prepare a PPA that would facilitate the
>installation of python2.5 on Lucid systems?

Not quite.  I remember the decision differently, and I'm verifying it here
right now with doko and others at the platform sprint.

Doko agreed to backport Python 2.6 to Hardy, which is what the DC runs now.
The plan was to get Launchpad running on 2.6 on Hardy so that a dist-upgrade
to Lucid would go smoothly (in that regard).  We spent 3 engineers x 2 weeks
trying to get Launchpad on 2.6 but only succeeded in getting us to 2.5,
understanding that we would have to make another push before Lucid to get
Launchpad on 2.6.

The key thing I've learned here is that there's only about a month before we
have to complete this work.  Lamont tells me that the first DC machines will
be upgraded to Lucid when it goes beta, in about a month.

>The main consideration for having at least one python interpreter
>version shared by Hardy and Lucid was to provide LTS customers with a
>migration path for their python "applications".

Right, but that Python version is going to be 2.6.  There's consensus here
that it's much better to support a backported PPA of 2.6 for Hardy than to
put Python 2.5 back in Lucid.

>So, this is not just about Launchpad (although we do have a vested
>interest :)

James checked with Jamu about Landscape.  They're still on 2.5 but he
apparently does not think getting to 2.6 is going to be difficult for them.
I'm not sure about U1.

>If we shipped only python2.6 with Lucid: what would be the "official"
>Hardy->Lucid migration story for LTS customers?

Start by porting to 2.6 on Hardy using the PPA before you upgrade to Lucid.

-Barry