Re: RFC: One True Way of addressing notification emails.

Thanks everyone for responding,

On 11 June 2010 01:32, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can I suggest this thread eventually turns into a LEP?

There's already a LEP for fixing bug subscriptions and notifications
[1]; given that we're looking at possibly standardising across
Launchpad on this, it seems sensible to make a new one, though. I'll
do so today.

>> For messages generated as a byproduct of some action taken on Launchpad,
>> that's a different matter.  In those cases, the user is *not* taking a direct
>> action to send the email and has no control over the From header.  I would
>> argue that in those cases Launchpad is the author of the message and the From
>> field should be from launchpad.net.  It makes the most sense to use the bug
>> number in the localpart, e.g. 111147@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  But in that case,
>> I'd argue against putting the commenter's name in the From field exactly
>> because it will mess up address books.  I think having the commenter's name in
>> the body of the message is enough to know what's going on.
>
> Agree, the statement is basically "bug 111147 says that Jane Doe
> changed me to confirmed/medium".
>
> This also works better if you eventually want to batch up multiple
> minor actions by multiple people.
>
> This would also give us a consistent fix for the problems of the
> reporter's name being absent on the first mail in a thread, or when
> the bug is retargeted into your subscription.

I like this solution, and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it in the
first place, frankly.

So, the question is: is this something that we're happy to standardise
on? I'm looking at this at the perspective of fixing bug 315867
(Launchpad spoofs my email address), and I'm happy to proceed with the
solution Martin and Barry have suggested here, unless there are
significant objections, but I'm also aware that this is a departure
from how pretty much anything else in Launchpad does email
notifications at the moment. Maybe fixing this and standardising are
two separate issues that can be solved by the LEP, though; I'm open to
suggestions.