Re: RFC: One True Way of addressing notification emails.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:51:43AM +0100, Graham Binns wrote:
> > Agree, the statement is basically "bug 111147 says that Jane Doe
> > changed me to confirmed/medium".
> >
> > This also works better if you eventually want to batch up multiple
> > minor actions by multiple people.
> >
> > This would also give us a consistent fix for the problems of the
> > reporter's name being absent on the first mail in a thread, or when
> > the bug is retargeted into your subscription.
>
> I like this solution, and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it in the
> first place, frankly.
>
> So, the question is: is this something that we're happy to standardise
> on?

So, to give my thoughts on this issue. We should certainly standardise,
so that all e-mail notifications from Launchpad follow the same style.
Extending BaseMailer to do this would be good.

As to what to standardise on, that's yet to decide. I wouldn't change
the way e-mail notifications look drastically, before talking to people
that deal with a lot of bugmail. I suspect that they might not be too
happy about us breaking their current workflow, so we should only do it
if it makes a whole lot of sense.

As to my personal preferences, then I think having the name of the
person triggering the notification in the From header is really useful.
I would hate seeing us remove that useful information and replace it
with useless information.

I don't care much whether the user's e-mail address is used, or the bug
address. I don't think being able to easily reply to the user
out-of-bug, or messing up people's address books are strong enough
reasons not to do something. They are minor issues. If we go for the bug
address, adding something like "(via Bug #XXX)" would be a good idea, to
make it more clear.

I would like to see the bug address in the To header, though, since it
makes it more clear that the notification is sent to all bug
subscribers, not only to me.

As for the additional e-mail header you were planning to add, I think
it's a good idea, but I agree with Robert, that it shouldn't be called
-Sender. That gives the impression that the person did indeed send the
mail himself.

--
Björn Tillenius | https://launchpad.net/~bjornt