Re: YUI upgrades (and Python upgrades)

Hi, all.

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Gary Poster <gary.poster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK, thank you, Francis.
>
> Deryck, could you keep us apprised of when you think the upgrade might happen (assuming you don't run into extra fun like last time)?

Yes, I'm doing the upgrade, and yes, I can keep the list updated.  My
goal is to finish this week, and so far, I don't see any issues with
that.  YUI 3.3 doesn't seem as large a change as YUI 3.2 was.
Windmill is always the blocking mechanism, and while I have a few
fixes to work through, right now I don't see any surprises there.
Maybe Windmill and I are indeed making peace with each other. :-)

> Robert, I'm waiting to see if others have better replies that I would have to your questions. :-)

The main question I saw there was around when to do YUI upgrades.  I'm
fine with a blanket "upgrade when you need it" statement in principal;
however, there is a difference here from the Python deps we have.  The
dependency we have is really lazr-js, which then depends on YUI.
Sidnei has been upgrading YUI inside lazr-js immediately after each
YUI release, and I thought I would follow with the LP update quickly
after so that there are no surprises.  For example, someone might need
to fix a UI bug on LP by fixing the js in lazr-js and not realize they
will also have to upgrade our code for YUI updates when they update
lazr-js in LP.

This indirect abstraction of lazr-js vs. YUI is some of what I was
complaining about before and would like us to move away from this.  I
think Paul shares this belief and is trying to work on the lazr-js
build system, how we couple lazr-js to our individual projects, etc.
to make this more obvious and easier to deal with.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge