Re: bug message indices. stable allocation and hidden messages

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Robert Collins
<robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Gavin Panella
> <gavin.panella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 26 January 2011 18:28, Deryck Hodge <deryck.hodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> When Robert and I spoke about this, we discussed adding imported
>>> comments on the end of the bug report to better indicate when the
>>> imported comments were added relative to the LP bug page.
>>
>> I think this would be more confusing. I think it's important to show
>> messages chronologically. Imported comments do have a distinctive look
>> already; perhaps they can be made more so.
>
> Adding new comments to the end of the discussion *is* chronological
> for an observer using Launchpad. It's not globally chronological, but
> we know that that is an illusion :).

Though I agree with Robert in principal here, I'm actually not that
strongly opinionated about it.  The UI is easy to test, though.  The
important bit is that imported comments are not treated the same,
especially concerning the assigning of a bug comment ID.  I think
we're all in agreement there.

The current UI could stand, just minus the permalink via ID for
imported comments.  And we could do some iterations on the imported
comments UI with user testing.  Just an idea.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge