Re: bug message indices. stable allocation and hidden messages

On 27 January 2011 20:11, Deryck Hodge <deryck.hodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Robert Collins
> <robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Gavin Panella
>> <gavin.panella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think this would be more confusing. I think it's important to show
>>> messages chronologically. Imported comments do have a distinctive look
>>> already; perhaps they can be made more so.
>>
>> Adding new comments to the end of the discussion *is* chronological
>> for an observer using Launchpad. It's not globally chronological, but
>> we know that that is an illusion :).
>>

> Though I agree with Robert in principal here, I'm actually not that
> strongly opinionated about it.  The UI is easy to test, though.  The
> important bit is that imported comments are not treated the same,
> especially concerning the assigning of a bug comment ID.  I think
> we're all in agreement there.

It should be noted that our original UI plan was to put imported
comments in a separate tab. Make of that what you will. However, let's
not get focussed on which shade of magnolia the comment-shed is going
to be.

> The current UI could stand, just minus the permalink via ID for
> imported comments.  And we could do some iterations on the imported
> comments UI with user testing.  Just an idea.

I broadly support this option. There probably is some risk of
confusion but I don't think we're going to find the right solution by
talking about it; much better that we experiment and get it wrong a
couple of times (hey, that's what ~malone-alpha's for) so that we get
it right before we eventually release it.

--
Graham Binns | PGP Key: EC66FA7D
http://launchpad.net/~gmb