Re: Resubmitting bug notification LEP for approval

Hi Martin.

On Jan 31, 2011, at 3:35 AM, Martin Pool wrote:

> This is a very nice LEP.

Thank you.  I was standing on the shoulders of Deryck and the former bug team.

Thanks also for your thoughtful review and ideas.

> There is a category of bug mail to do with duplicates that people
> might like to filter: for commonly-duplicated bugs I might not want to
> know about every one of the dupes coming in, or every comment on each
> of them.

I could see that, yes.  I talked with jml about it, and we're going to put it out of scope for the current effort, though we won't be surprised at all to see a bug in the tracker surface with this request.

> You could add a story like
>
>  As a person experiencing a bug
>  I want to be told when the bug is fixed or when I need to provide
> more information
>  So I can help fix it, without having my mailbox flooded.
>
> (Even though I get and deal with a lot of bug mail, I feel like this
> whenever I'm affected by a hot Ubuntu bug.)

The "when I need to provide more information" is interesting.  So, if it is marked incomplete, I assume you mean?  The code doesn't appear to be set up that way now--"incomplete" is regarded as in-progress.  If we stick with the current event enumerations, I would be tempted to say that the most minimal event subscription should include moving to incomplete as a trigger.  I added a note to this effect in the LEP.

> It seems like if you're going to allow subscribing by tag you could
> equally easily subscribe by full-text search and that would be very
> close to subscribing to a search.

As Robert said, I don't think that's practical with our current infrastructure.

> If we're going to set a List-Id, we could also later provide an
> List-Unsubscribe header (?).  Then gmail and some other user agents
> can directly give people an "unsubscribe from this" link that may be
> more obvious than one at the bottom of the mail.

Benji replied to this one: it won't work for GMail, unfortunately, at least as they implement it now.  We could include the header anyway and hope that they implement it, I suppose, but that's very speculative work, and so I'd be against it.

Also, to be clear, my current belief is that List-Id will not work either, per earlier discussions on this thread, but I have deferred worrying about it further until we've been told to investigate including it as a feature.

> The page reached from the 'unsubscribe' link could/should also give
> you the option to turn off all your launchpad mail.

I don't think this directly addresses the story we are telling for this LEP.  However, I think it is a really good idea.  It could fit in particularly well if we get to the "manage all of your subscriptions" page that's currently in the nice-to-have section.  I talked to jml about it and he said to move it to nice-to-have.  I have done so.

Gary