Re: Third party JavaScript parts + skinning

This should be my last one, I hope. :-)  And it's just to clarify
this, for people who care about the packaging story for JavaScript.

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Gary Poster <gary.poster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here's a summary of my understanding.  Please correct.
>
> - We all like working with packaged software.
> - YUI has a story for this.  It is a story that the JS experts at Canonical have rejected: using Yahoo's CDN.

No one really rejected using Yahoo's CDN.  I think all of us would
prefer this.  It doesn't support SSL.

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/faq/#cdnssl

So it wasn't so much rejected and much as just not possible.  If you
don't use the CDN, Yahoo recommends building a single js file and
using that, which has been the approach until now.  But that doesn't
scale with the growth of YUI, and now we want to do a combo loader.
There are some other issues with using a combo loader and our setup
that contributed to the single file approach initially, too.

> - lazr-js was supposed to be Canonical's story for this.  It has at least two problems.
>   * First, it uses Python build tools for something that is JS only.  We're already off on our own since we are not using the CDN, and this makes it more isolated.  [I vaguely think there are other problems with this too?]

It adds a layer between development.  You can't do anything in lazr-js
(or Launchpad js) without a build step, which is heavy handed for js
development.  See this entire discussion.  If lazr-js was just a bzr
branch, Brad could have added the gallery file and kept rolling with
development.

Also, it takes for freakin' ever to build lazr-js trunk on its own for
the first time.  For what?  To run 200 tests? ;)  This block adoption
of lazr-js across the company or outside the company.

>   * Second, it is a shared resource, shared across Canonical.  This encourages slower, more thoughtful changes that look towards building company-wide consensus.  It is less appropriate for quick, application-specific work.
>  - Because of this, the Canonical JS experts are excited and pleased for Paul to do the work he describes.

Yup, exactly.  This will all get better with Paul's work, but we
should still be thoughtful about what we pull into lazr-js.  It should
be a shared library, not a place to dump every single js fcould have
added the gallery file and kept rolling with development.ile we might
one day use.

Cheers,
deryck

--